Do you have small teeth that make your smile look short? You’re not alone. Virtually nobody is born with a perfect smile. Even celebrities who are known for their pearly whites have often had cosmetic dental work done. While some treatments used to only be available to the rich and famous, there are now a variety of ways to fix issues with your smile without breaking the bank. Read on to learn what causes small teeth and three ways a cosmetic dentist can fix them.
Possible Causes of Small Teeth
Microdontia are teeth that develop or only appear to be smaller than average. Having small teeth is hereditary, but it can sometimes be a symptom of a development issue such as a cleft palate, a genetic disorder, or a side-effect of radiation exposure. In cases like these, microdontia is often accompanied by hypodontia, which is when someone has fewer teeth than average. Short teeth can also be caused by wear due to damage or excessive teeth grinding. There are three main categories of microdontia, including:
- True generalized – This is usually caused by a condition such as pituitary dwarfism and means that all the teeth are smaller than average.
- Relative generalized – The teeth may be normal in size but appear small because the jaw is larger than average or the gums extend too far over the teeth.
- Localized – Only one or a few teeth are small, which may affect the crown or root of the tooth. This usually affects the upper teeth and is the most common type of microdontia.
How to Fix Small Teeth
There are multiple ways that your dentist can make your teeth look larger. A few common methods they might use include:
- Cosmetic dental bonding – During this treatment, your dentist will use a color-matched composite resin to cover imperfections and slightly reshape the teeth. It’s molded on the tooth and sculpted to make it look longer.
- Porcelain veneers –These thin, custom-made shells are made from dental-grade porcelain and require a small amount of enamel to be removed so they can better adhere to the tooth and seamlessly blend with the rest of your smile. They completely cover the front surface of a tooth and can conceal more significant cosmetic problems than dental bonding, Veneers are commonly used to change the shape and size of small teeth.
- Dental crowns – These surround the entire visible part of a tooth with a custom-made cap that is commonly used for teeth that are cracked or decayed but can also make your teeth look longer. Though dental crowns provide the most security, they may take more time and effort than other options.
If you’re embarrassed by or unhappy with your small teeth, there’s no need to settle. With the above services, your dentist will be able to make your teeth look more appropriately sized so you can enjoy a beautiful smile you’re proud to show off!
About the Practice
Dr. John Carollo, Dr. Sufian Mahmoud, and their talented Florham Park team aim to administer the best possible care to patients of all ages. If you have small teeth you want to fix, they offer services like dental crowns, porcelain veneers, and dental bonding to give you the smile you desire. If you’re interested in scheduling an appointment or want more information on their many service offerings, visit their website or call their office at (973) 377-5117 today.